Cloud connector traffic flows are changing for the XenApp and XenDesktop service.
First, there are multiple deployment scenarios when using the XenApp and XenDesktop service within Citrix cloud:
- Full: the Gateway Service and Workspace are hosted within Citrix Cloud
- Partial: Workspace is hosted within Citrix Cloud while Gateway is running on-premises.
- Minimal: Gateway and StoreFront are running on-premises
When you go with the full option, where Workspace and Gateway are running within Citrix Cloud, the VDA-to-Gateway traffic flow changed.
Previously, the VDA-Gateway traffic would all flow through the cloud connector, notice step 11
With the 7.18 VDA, the VDA-Gateway traffic would be direct, bypassing the cloud connector (step 9).
Why the change?
- Better Scalability: the connectors are more scalable as it no longer proxies the VDA-Gateway traffic
- Better Experience: the user experience no longer suffers if the connectors are overloaded
The updated cloud connector flow also automatically falls back to the previous approach if the VDA cannot make a direct connection to the Gateway service. This new approach uses the following Citrix policy within the Citrix cloud-hosted Studio (it is enabled by default).
The new traffic flow is now part of the XenApp/XenDesktop Cloud Service Poster.